21 March 2011

Challenging Superlative Recipes

Many bakers claim to have superlative recipes. I found two recipes claiming excellence and set forth to see if their claims were true...

The first recipe was found here, which claimed to be the best ever chocolate chip cookie recipe. I've stuck with a couple of staple chocolate chip recipes over the years, but have recently decided to experiment a bit more in search of that perfect recipe. I've been pretty content with the recipes I use, but there's no harm in trying to find something better! After all, these cookies were going to be the best ever. I was excited to get baking, believing that my search for the perfect chocolate chip cookie was about to end. Well, I was let down. This particular recipe left something to be desired and had me longing for my staple recipes. I gave them a second chance after the first attempt yielded disappointment because I was feeling so optimistic. However, the second attempt changed nothing. Perhaps the third time's a charm, but I've been so let down by this recipe I'm not sure if I want to give it a third shot.



I was still feeling optimistic at this point.


The result: a cookie that is a flatter than I'd like, decent when fresh out of the oven (a little crunch on the edge and a soft center), but after about two hours these cookies lose their flavor and texture. Overall, I'd rate this a superlative fail.


The second recipe I tried was not a cookie recipe, but satisfied an ongoing craving I'd been having. I been having random urges to make blueberry muffins, but never had blueberries at hand. I settled for making chocolate chocolate chip muffins for a couple weeks until a trip to Costco led to the discovery and purchase of an inordinate amount of blueberries (enough for two batches of muffins and even pancakes, too!).  I found this recipe via a simple Google search, another claiming to yield a most tasty result: to die for blueberry muffins. I came close to omitting the crumble topping, but it proved to be the element that set these muffins apart from the rest.


Considering the amount of blueberries I had available, I added extra.


 Crumble-topped and ready to go!


Blueberries oozing out of freshly baked muffins.


These to die for muffins did not disappoint, I highly recommend!

3 comments:

  1. Nice. Welcome to the world of blogging. Your commentary is quite nice and now has me hungry for either chocolate chip cookies, or blueberry muffins. I'll have to find some today. In the meantime, I'll have some breakfast :] Keep blogging, and I'll keep reading! Btw, watch out for those spammers that like to lurk about. Quite annoying if you ask me.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great first post! I'm excited for more like this... you're going to be an awesome blogger. And now I want muffins....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I posted comments and they didn't show....ergh. Great start to an awesome idea by a talented writer, baker and one cool chica! I want some muffins...

    ReplyDelete